In Twilight Princess, Wolf Link is the divine beast that Midna explains the Twili have long believed would free them. Link is transformed into this form due to the influence of the Twilight covering Hyrule. His whole body changes and reforms, leaving only his earrings, his distinctive blue eyes, and the Triforce mark on his hand. Though losing the ability to use items, this new form grants Link heightened senses and speed, along with many other unique abilities. In this form, Midna rides on Link's back giving directions, and allows him to warp using the Portals created across Hyrule.
Link is first transformed into a wolf following the appearance of Bulblins at Ordon Spring. Colin and Ilia are carried off, and Link is left lying unconscious in the spring. When he wakes up, Link runs in pursuit of his kidnapped friends, but finds a Curtain of Twilight blocking his path. Suddenly, the massive arm of a Shadow Beast springs from the Twilight, dragging Link inside. As the Shadow Beast clutches Link around the neck, the mark of the Triforce suddenly appears on the back of his hand and bursts forth pure light, driving the creature back. Link falls to his hands and knees and morphs from human to wolf, causing him to pass out from the strain of the transformation. He is then dragged off by the Shadow Beasts and imprisoned within the Hyrule Castle Sewers, where he meets Midna, who helps him make his escape.
It is later revealed that anyone engulfed in the Twilight will normally be transformed into a helpless spirit, and that only the power of the Triforce protects Link and enables him to retain his physical form, although considerably altered. Link is eventually able to return to his human form with the aid of the Light Spirit Faron. Upon entering the other provinces of Hyrule covered in Twilight, Link is again transformed into his wolf form, and can only regain his human form after aiding the Spirits of Light by restoring light to the area.
When Link finds the Master Sword and receives the Shadow Crystal, he is able to change at will by exposing himself to the power of Twilight contained within the crystal by simply talking to Midna.
One of the most important aspects of Link's wolf transformation is that he gains the use of greatly enhanced senses. This ability, shown as Sense while in wolf form, activates a special combination of enhanced visual and olfactory perception. Visual range is reduced, but Link is able to detect many otherwise hidden things. The Sense ability is notably similar to the power of the Lens of Truth from previous titles, though it can be used indefinitely and does not take up Magic Power.
Wolf Link's enhanced Senses have a number of vital applications throughout the game. The first use, taught by Midna while in Hyrule Castle Sewers, is to detect the spirit forms of the people of Hyrule trapped within the Twilight. Appearing as a floating greenish flame, these spirits' true form can be seen by activating the Sense, enabling Link to listen to their thoughts. As Link is unable to communicate directly with the spirits, this enables him to gain useful information from them about recent events. Also, Link needs to use the Senses to see and defeat certain enemies, such as Ghoul Rats and Poes.
Another application of the Sense ability is the detection of special patches of ground found all across Hyrule. These appear as patches of sparkling light where Wolf Link can dig, usually unearthing items such as Rupees or Hearts. Some of the patches are larger, and can lead to different areas within dungeons, or to caves. This digging ability is always available to Link while in wolf form, but is mostly useless unless combined with the Sense ability.
An important use of Wolf Link's enhanced Senses is the detection of special Scents encountered during his quest. Upon encountering particular items, Link is able to remember the Scent, which appears as a colored trail while the Sense ability is active. This tracking ability is vital at many points in order to progress though the game. When a new Scent is encountered, the previous scent will be forgotten. Wolf Link can learn a total of six different Scents throughout the game, which can be of enemies or characters.
While mounted on Wolf Link's back, Midna can use her powers to help Link in a number of ways. In certain situations, she is able to transform her hair into a giant, orange or pink hand. In the Hyrule Castle Sewers, she will use this arm to draw Link's attention to chains which must be pulled to open grates, raising and lowering the water levels. During the battle with Ganon, Midna is able to grapple the enormous beast to the ground as he charges, allowing Link to attack. She also uses this arm to open dungeon doors for Wolf Link.
Another ability is the Dark Energy Attack, where Midna raises her hand and summons a growing circle of crackling Twilight energy which will surround any enemies within range. Once released, this power allows Wolf Link to unleash multiple attacks, rapidly darting from one enemy to another, defeating them all simultaneously. This technique is vital to defeat the groups of Shadow Beasts which appear from the Portals across Hyrule. It is also very useful in defeating large groups of enemies.
Midna is also able to warp Wolf Link to any of the Twilight Portals across Hyrule. This ability can also be used to transport different objects throughout Hyrule, such as bridges.
In accordance with Link's new Wolf form, the nature of his attacks in this form is also different. The standard Bite Attack is performed in the same way as a Sword slice and has a similar effect. The Jump Attack is also performed similarly to when in human form, however, against certain enemies, Wolf Link can repeatedly bite at an enemy's jugular by repeated button presses. Also available is the Spin Attack, again performed in the same manner as in human form. Once completed, Wolf Link's tail will glint in the same manner as Link's Sword, indicating that the Spin Attack can be used again.
Wolf Link also possesses a number of other miscellaneous special abilities. While running, he is able to dash; pressing the A button will allow him to briefly run more quickly.
In various locations across Hyrule, Link will encounter tightropes which must be crossed to reach other areas. Wolf Link is able to rope walk by balancing carefully and walking slowly across.
In other specific areas without ropes, Link is able to use a long-distance jump. These areas are indicated by Midna, who will then float across to show Link where to find his next foothold. This can extend into a chain of up to a dozen jumps which must be performed in rapid succession in order to reach the other side, sometimes avoiding enemies or falling objects.
Another useful ability is that of communicating with animals. In wolf form, Link is able to understand and speak to all types of animals found across Hyrule, including Epona. He will be able to glean useful information and hints from them.
Being a wolf, Link in his transformed state is able to howl, which can again be done is specific locations. Patches of Hawk Grass and Horseshoe Grass can be used to howl the tune normally played, summoning a Hawk and Epona respectively. More importantly, special Howling Stones can be used to summon the Golden Wolf, enabling Link to learn the seven Hidden Skills.
Breath of the Wild
Wolf Link will follow Link wherever he goes, attack enemies and Animals on sight, and, if the Sheikah Sensor is on, will find the nearest object that the sensor is set to locate. If Link travels too far out of Wolf Link's reach, he will warp to Link's side. When Link stands beside Wolf Link, he can command him to "Stay" by pressing the A Button. The Remote Bomb Rune will deal three Hearts of damage to Wolf Link if he is caught within its blast radius.
Wolf Link's number of Hearts depends on the amiibo's registration with Twilight Princess HD. If the amiibo is unregistered, Wolf Link will have 3 hearts. If registered via the Cave of Shadows, his Hearts will depend on the Hearts that remain while finishing the dungeon.
The damage Wolf Link deals per attack is 10 + 0.25 * (wolf link's max hearts). For example, a Wolf Link with 20 hearts will deal 10 + 0.25 * 20 = 15 damage per hit. If wolf link is fed a high-tier meat item, such as Raw Gourmet Meat or a Raw Whole Bird, then his damage receives a permanent x5 multiplier. For example, a Wolf Link with 20 hearts will now deal (10 + 0.25 * 20) * 5 = 75 damage per hit.
Wolf Link can be summoned indefinitely as long as he still has Hearts remaining. Once he is defeated, he will not appear from scanning the amiibo until the next real-world day. When out of combat, Wolf Link will eat nearby health-recovering items to recover hearts if he needs to. Wolf Link cannot be summoned in towns or dungeons and will not follow Link to these locations. Wolf Link is a visitor from a separate plane of existence and consequently cannot be seen by normal people.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
|#||Trophy||Significant Games||Description||How to unlock|
|Twilight Princess||Link's alternate form in the Twilight Realm. In this form, he cannot use weapons such as swords or shields, but he can attack with a ferocious wolf bite. He also has a number of unique skills inherent to his beast form, such as a keen sense of smell, the ability to dig, and a loud wolf howl.||Random|
|Sticker||Artwork from||Effect in The Subspace Emissary||Usable by|
Midna & Wolf Link
|Twilight Princess||[Leg] - Attack +26|
My Nintendo Picross: Twilight Princess
The tenth puzzle in the Picross series and the fourth puzzle in the Mega Picross series depict Wolf Link.
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
|#||Trophy||Appears in||Description||How to unlock|
|215||N/A||Twilight Princess||Hey, who let a wolf in here? This is the spot for a trophy of Link! The wolf does look cool, though... Oh, oops! That wolf is Link, from Twilight Princess, after he steps into Twilight. It's actually a pretty handy transformation. Maybe the Master Sword can help him transform at will...||Random|
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Nookipedia features more in-depth articles.
W. Link was added as a villager in the Welcome amiibo update of Animal Crossing: New Leaf, alongside Epona, Ganon, and Medli. If the Link, Wolf Link, or Princess Zelda amiibo is scanned into the game, W. Link will show up at the campground and can be asked to move into the town. He is a Wolf villager that has a Smug personality, and thus has high self-esteem and values his friendships. His birthday, December 2, references the Japanese release date of Twilight Princess.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Wolf Link & Midna appears as a Primary Spirit in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The Spirit is obtained by leveling the Primary Spirit Midna up to level 99 and then enhancing her. Wolf Link & Midna is a Legend class Spirit that holds 3 Slots for Support Spirits. Wolf Link & Midna's Skill is: "Dash Attack Up - Increases tackle and dash attack power, and slightly increases move speed."
- The idea of Link transforming into a wolf came from a dream by the game's director Eiji Aonuma. During a work trip, Aonuma dreamt he was a wolf trapped inside a jail, similar to the scene where Link meets Midna as a wolf.
- Unused text from Twilight Princess indicates that Magic Power was originally going to be a requirement to turn into Wolf Link. As there is no Magic Meter in the game, this concept was scrapped.
- In the A Link to the Past manga by Akira Himekawa, Link is shown to begin a transformation into a wolf-like creature in the Dark World, before he reverts to human form.
- In Hyrule Warriors, there is a statue of Wolf Link in the garden maze near the Temple of Souls.
- W. Link's birthday in Animal Crossing: New Leaf is December 2nd, the day that Twilight Princess was first released in Japan. This also makes his astrological sign Sagittarius, the half man half animal archer.
- In a bonus session regarding the making of Breath of the Wild, art director Satoru Takizawa explains why Wolf Link is his favorite character. Aside from thinking Wolf Link is adorable, Takizawa also notes how the game can be lonely, so having a companion to travel with is nice.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
Wolf Link's Life Meter from Breath of the Wild
Wolf Link sprite from My Nintendo Picross: Twilight Princess
|Twilight Princess HD Wolf Link trailer|
|Breath of the Wild Wolf Link amiibo trailer|
|Super Mario Maker - Wolf Link gameplay|
|Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo - Wolf Link trailer|
- "In our world, we've long believed that the Hero would appear as a divine beast." — Midna (Twilight Princess HD)
- "Players can tap Wolf Link amiibo to the Wii U GamePad controller, allowing Wolf Link to attack enemies on his own and help players to hunt. He has three hearts, unless players carry over save data from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD. Wolf Link disappears when his hearts run out." — Nintendo, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Wolf Link amiibo Trailer - Nintendo E3 2016, YouTube, published June 14, 2016, retrieved July 15, 2016.
- Art & Artifacts, Dark Horse Books, pg. 273 (TP)
- "W. Link
It's about time this hero came around. He's known for being strong but silent, but he's starting to open up a bit. Just don't ask about his past..." — RV description (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)
- "In our world, we've long believed that the Hero would appear as a divine beast." — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "O brave youth... In the land covered in twilight, where people roam as spirits, you were transformed into a blue-eyed beast..." — Faron (Twilight Princess)
- "Eee hee hee! Want to see something interesting? You're a beast! You should know what to do! Use your senses with (D Pad) and poke around..." — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "Twilight covered Hyrule like a shroud, and without light, the people became as spirits. Within the twilight, they live on, unaware that they have passed into spirit forms..." — Princess Zelda (Twilight Princess)
- "You were transformed into a blue-eyed beast... That was a sign... It was a sign that the powers of the chosen one rest within you...and that they are awakening." — Faron (Twilight Princess)
- "If you were to return Faron Woods where you were first transformed... If you were to revive the light spirit... There, by the power of the light spirit, you may find the means to regain your other state of being..." — Ordona (Twilight Princess)
- "This thing is the embodiment of the evil magic that Zant cast on you. It's definitely different from our tribe's shadow magic... Careful... If you touch it, you'll turn back into a beast! This thing is too dangerous... It's probably for the best if we just leave it here, huh? But on the other hand...if we kept it, you'd be able to transform into a beast anytime you wanted... Yes, since Zant was kind enough to give this to us, we should be thankful and use it all we can!" — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "You're a beast, remember? Press to hone your senses and poke around!" — Midna (Twilight Princess HD)
- "Wolf Link is the twilit beast form of Link from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. A Wolf Link amiibo was released alongside the HD rerelease of Twilight Princess in 2016, and if you tap the amiibo into Breath of the Wild he will accompany Link on his journey, search for shrines, hunt, and help fight enemies. He is invisible to ordinary folk since he is a visitor from another plane of existence." (Creating a Champion, Dark Horse Books, pg. 65)
- "[...] once when I had to go overseas for work I randomly had this dream that I was a wolf shut up inside a jail cell. While I was pondering why on earth I'd been a wolf in my dream, I got the urge to try putting it in a game." —Eiji Aonuma (Twilight Princess HD Miiting.)
- "You don't have any magic power... You know you can't turn into a beast without it!" — The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Debug Text, The Cutting Room Floor.
- "I think that Wolf Link is adorable. Playing this game can be a really lonely journey, so I think that having a dog companion as you travel through the world is really nice." —Satoru Takizawa (The Making of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Bonus Session.)